Jasmine (left) and I

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Horseback Riding!!!


Today we (everyone with Adelante: Jasmine, Jo, Kendall, Ryan, Haylee, Rachelle and I) went horseback riding in Canelones, an hour and a half car ride outside of Montevideo. Let me say now that it was AMAZING and I never want to go horseback riding in the states again because I won't be able to gallop along the beach.


Jo took 4 of us in her rented car. We left at 9 and when we got there we were astounded. They had every kind of farm animal you could imagine and they were just walking around. They had a turkey, peacock, tons of horses (they raise thoroughbreds and racing horses,) cows, hogs, alpacas, etc. It was huge. It was really really nice to get outside of the city. The people that run the place heard that I was from Texas and asked me if I felt like I was home. I totally did. If only they had some country music on...


I had no idea that the actual horseback ride would be so long or that it would lead to the beach. The ride ended up being about 4 hours long!! I am incredibly sore now. Most of the time the horses didn't walk, but trotted. Painful. I kind of know how to ride and that helped a little as we went through the forest trotting. My horse even made a jump over a puddle!


The best part was when we went to the beach. They warned us ahead of time to hold the reigns tightly or the horses would want to run. Too bad we all galloped and had horse races by the time we were done on the beach. Even Jasmine, who was riding a horse for the first time, was galloping along. In fact, she wanted the horse to go faster when we were going back.


I didn't want it to end, but my body said otherwise and they had asado, or barbecue, for us. They made chorizo (sausage) and carne (steak) for us on the grill. It was pretty good. We all just sat around and talked for awhile. I really did feel like I was at some barbecue place in Texas, just with Spanish. The people that ran the place are somehow connected with the school and it was darling to watch their entire family (about 3 generations there) talk and play and laugh together. Of the the girls (about 12) had on cowboy boots, which cracked me up.


Today was amazing and we all greatly enjoyed it. I just called my dad since it's Father's Day. My family is so crazy. Right now my mom is at an airport in Michigan after my cousin's wedding waiting for her delayed flight to take off again. Then one of my sisters (Rachel, 16) is in Chicago on a 10-day mission trip with the church youth choir. My dad, sister (Faith, 13,) and two brothers went to the lake yesterday, but I feel better since they were rained out. Isn't that awful?! My sister Courtney (19) is deciding right now where she wants to go to school next semester while she works like a crazy person at Chili's back home. Oh family!


Yesterday we (Kendall, Jasmine, Ryan and I) tried to get tickets for a Globetrotters game last night. It ended up being sold out. We went to Punta Carretas shopping to go to Buquebus (the main travel agency here) to get tickets for Buenos Aires and were then sent to Tres Cruces (the main bus center/shopping) to go to the other store's location. Keep in mind that we had gone out at La Cite the night before and hadn't gotten home until about 5 a.m. We were all dead the entire day. But (after waiting an hour in line) we finally got our tickets to go to Buenos Aires!!! We will be leaving early Friday morning, staying at a commercial hotel (which seems rather nice,) and then coming back Sunday evening. We are all very excited!! It was a little pricy at $120 US, but I would have hated going home without going to Buenos Aires, especially with it so close. So the day ended on a positive note...and today was AMAZING!!! I have two more weeks here and I intend on enjoying every second of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww alna! i am so jealous! maybe you can make it up by going to ihop with me when you get back. i miss you so much alna! love you!