Jasmine (left) and I

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Making the best of things


If nothing else, I have learned how to make the best of circumstances that seem bleak and endless while I have been abroad here in Montevideo. It began when I got sick and was stuck in bed for a week without anyone from home to reassure me.


It continued when I started going to work. When people here, and abroad in general, learn that you are from the United States of America, you become a target. They are constantly surrounded in our culture and they seem to like finding weaknesses when they meet us. I work in a room with four other women. The women here are very passive agressive and sometimes rude. I have heard them talking about me several times. Just about how I stay on my computer (God forbid I actually work) while they chat and drink mate. They are so lazy here! Or you could look at it as Americans are workaholics, which is also pretty true.


I have laughed off the idle gossip in the past. Yesterday was actually a really good day with them. I asked them about the media here and we ended up talking about what we do when we go out and common slang in our countries. They even shared mate with me and I had coffee and lemon cream pie with them. I had been praying about the awkwardness in the office and I felt my prayers were answered.


However, today was a different story. I think they forget that I can understand them. They were talking about how they always buy the milk to put in the coffee and that I should pay too. I've had coffee with them twice and usually politely refuse so I can be home on time. Of course I understood what they were saying and when they sat down I got out 10 pesos and gave it to the girl sitting nearest me and said it was for the milk, I didn't know they had to pay for it, and that I would not be having coffee today. She took the money from me silently and quickly pocketed it. I suppose women are petty no matter where you go. All I can do is pray for them. They need something (or someone) to talk about at work, and as an American I can't avoid the constant attention. As an American abroad, you just have to know how to deal with it.


I have most definately learned how to stand up for myself while I have been here. This is only one instance. I have also still been e-mailing Adelante because they have still not done anything with all our complaints. I would have never sent such harsh and thoroughly analyzed e-mails in the past. Furthermore, I have had to stand up to a guy who is here for two weeks between the completion of his medical school and residency. He has said rude or distasteful things about women, to me and to other people. Back home I would have turned a deaf ear or just given him a cold look, but here I have been bold and griped him out.


I'm not sure if it's good or bad that I have had to constantly stand up for myself, but now I can only hope and pray that it turns out to be a good thing and I can keep it under control. Studying abroad in a place that hardly any people speak your language stretches you far enough, but all the extra rude sentiments that go along with being an American abroad doesn't help too much. Especially being an American woman because they all think we're crazy nymphos from the movies they watch on cable TV. You really do have to know how to deal with animosity before going abroad as an American, but after you decide not to care it's great.


On a more positive note, things with Maria are getting better and she has been very kind to me. Kendall and Ryan moved into the school so I have been able to see more of them, which has been nice. I can't believe I only have a few more days left before I leave!


Here is a picture of 3 of my closest friends from Baylor with my mom when we stayed at my house to go on our roadtrip to San Diego, California, for Spring Break.

No comments: