Jasmine (left) and I

Friday, May 11, 2007

First time going out/British navy


Last night Jasmine, Jo (the other girl who is in our advanced Spanish class) and Karen (who is taking classes here) and I all went out in Ciudad Vieja. Ciudad Vieja (old city) is where all the life is in Montevideo. It was boliches (clubs) and bars and tango places there. Most of the places don't open until 2 a.m. and they dance until about 6 or 7. It's a little different than the states...

Jasmine and I met Jo and Karen at the school (where they are living) at about 10:30 to leave. There weren't many people there at all. It is a 40 minute walk from here so we took a cab. When we got there we walked around a little but it was dead. We went and got drinks at a place they (Jo and Karen) had been the night before. Eventually we went into a bar across they way that had a bunch of gringos in it just because a lot of people were there.

After we had been inside for awhile a random Scottish-sounding guy came up to me. All the people there spoke English. They were all with the British royal navy and are here for five nights while their ship is painted for an anniversary or something. They are ending the end of their three month trip.

Jo and Karen are older (in their 30s) and were off somewhere talking. Jasmine kept checking on me every now and then. An officer named Ashley came up to me and started talking to me and ended up following me around until I finally left the area at 4 a.m. He introduced me to all his friends. However, his friends also hit on me and at one point I was completely surrounded by them. It was so funny. I felt like the girl in top gun. At least they were very nice. I had no idea that Brits liked corona so much.

Any time I tell people that I am from Texas they get really excited. Everyone asks about the cowboy hats, etc. It happened last summer at Georgetown and in Italy. Hollywood has ruined us. They all talk about George Bush being from Texas too.

Some of the sailors were ridiculous. A Scottish guy that was a friend of Ashley's mooned me. Oh, and Ashley had the most hilarious pick up lines. One was "the girl over there (who was Spanish) asked me why I have been talking to you for an hour and still haven't kissed you." As he got more drunk they got worse. But it sure was funny, for me. There was absolutely no way that was going to happen. I started hiding.

After being at that place for awhile we went to a place across the way and danced until 4. We met some local Uruguayans and they were extremely nice. One of the guys is studying public relations like me and speaks Italian as I sort of do. It was just strange to meet a local who is studying the same thing I am.

It was interesting, but it was really fun. Tonight we are going to go eat dinner (they eat at around 10 p.m. here) and then go out and actually stay out like they do. Tomorrow morning we have to be somewhere at 8 a.m. to go to Punta del Este. That will be interesting. Well, class is starting again. I am so tired!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol I had a bit of a similar run in with the British navy on Valentines day back in Holland. I guess you can always count on the royal navy for two things-a free drink and a good time.