Jasmine (left) and I

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Soccer and Sing

The past few days have been interesting. Monday literally all of the Spanish school at Herradura went to a meal where they prepared every kind of meat you can imagine. I do not even know all that I ate. Cow pancreas, sausage seasoned with sweet blood and another with salty blood, I tried it all. It was interesting.

Tuesday Jasmine and I went to the Punto Carretas shopping mall and i bought another pair of jeans since I only brought 3. I wish I had known that Montevideo fashion was so lax. People just don't care here about how they look and they wear jeans all the time. Women don't wear skirts, which is what I brought a lot of for my internship. I'm not in Italy anymore.

Yesday was random and crazy. After class literally all the spanish class students went on a three-hour bus tour of Montevideo. I am very glad that I went. We went all over the city and got to take pictures of the congress bulding, modern telecommunications building, went on the hill in carrascas to take picture of the port, and more.

On the tour we randomly met a guy named Lawrence who is from Seattle and was only going to be there for a night. He grew up in L.A. Beverly Hills and went to school with stars' kids. He travels all over the world for "business" and will stay in one place only for a couple nights before moving on. He then returns to the places that he likes. He claims that he doesn't have much money, but it was obvious that he does when he pulled out a black American Express card...which you are only personally invited to have and must have A LOT of money to keep. So he is pretty much loaded even though he insisted he was broke and from the "poor part" of Beverly Hills because his parents were from Costa Rica, which he visits about 7 times a year.

Liar.

Lawrence told us during the city tour that he was going to a soccer game between Brazil and Uruguay that night. We randomly decided to go. Jasmine, Ryan, Kendell and I randomly went to the game with him...he bought the tickets. It was freezing, but it was a good experience. Like Europeans, South Americans are crazy about soccer and there were all sorts of fights. They patted us down going inside for knives. The police were everywhere, it was kind of funny. They had fireworks like it was the Fourth of July. We sat on the Brazil side and they never once stopped singing.

After the game we met Jo and Karin at Bar Fun Fun. It is where most famous people go when they visit Montevideo. It was a really cool place. There was a singer, Rosanna, who was singing songs like Norah Jones, but in Spanish. It was really good. Of course Lawrence paid for all of our food and drinks, which there were nine of us. Oh goodness. Tonight I am going to learn tango! Wish me luck.

No comments: