Jasmine (left) and I

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Tango


The tango was born in Argentina, right across the Rio de Plata from Montevideo. There are so many places to learn tango it is ridiculous. Liz is a girl that stayed with Maria (our house mom) two years ago when she did our program for two months. She went back home to Montana for four months and then came back to Montevideo, where she has been for 1 1/2 years. She is dating a guy that teaches tango. Thursday night we went to a place where you pay 60 pesos for several hours of class. They teach salsa, then "rock and roll" (swing,) and then tango. The salsa and rock and roll were easy because of my ballet background, but tango was quite another story.


I had several guys ask me to dance even though I told them all it was my first time. I caught on as quickly as I could, but it is a very strict and sensual dance wherin you HAVE to know what you are doing. We ended up staying there much longer than we had anticipated. We tried grappa miel, one of Uruguay's national drinks, which is made from miel, or honey. We also met Liz's boyfriend, who gave Jasmine and I tango lessons today.


Friday Jasmine slept through the first half of classes and a new teacher taught us. After class Laticia took us on a tour of Ciudad Vieja and told us about some of the arcitecture and history of Montevideo. It was originally a Spanish establishment/port.


That night we went out like the Uruguayans do for the first time. Karin, Kendyll, Ryan, Jasmine and I went out together. We went to a place in Parque Rodo called the W Lounge. It was crazy. It did not open until 1 a.m. so we got there at about 1:30. The place was really cool. There were 4 different rooms with different music in each and televisions, lights, and smoke everywhere. There were people absolutely everywhere. No matter where you stood there was someone trying to push past you. It was a lot of fun, but very intense, very latin. I left at about 5, but most people do not leave until about 6 or 7 in the morning.


Today Jasmine and I slept in until about 3 p.m. It was great. Then we went to tango lessons wiht Liz's boyfriend. By the end of the hour, he told us that we had learned the equivalent of four lessons in one. I am really excited about learning it!


Tomorrow a bunch of us are going to an expat meeting with other English speakers. There is a new student here from Australia who I think is coming too. Austrailians are the best traveled people of any other country. When I was traveling around Europe I ran into more Austrailians than any other people. Apparently the real estate here is really cheap so Stephen (the guy from Australia) is going to be here for about 3 months investing in renovating some apartments or a hotel. It is amazing, the people you meet when you are abroad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss you sooo much, come back to me loooove! Sorry I miss your calls, I was in Florida but I am back now! Have fun, glad you learned to tango!

love jen